Join the team at Heritage Farm!
We are often looking for passionate people to help us in our work. If you care about preserving agricultural biodiversity, promoting the family and cultural traditions of seed saving, contact us about a job at our headquarters at Heritage Farm just north of Decorah, Iowa.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to email@example.com - include the name of the position in the subject line of your email.
Crew Leader/Seed Tech (Full-Time)
Leadership position encompassing all aspects of seed production, packing, and order fulfillment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist the Field Manager in performing all garden activities including garden preparation, seeding, transplanting, watering, weeding, mulching, staking, fencing, harvesting, and garden clean-up.
2. Lead a team of field crew members daily during the growing season to carry out garden installation and maintenance.
3. Maintain accurate records of seed production, processing, packaging, and shipping.
4. Hire and train seasonal and permanent staff as needed.
5. Monitor, schedule, and perform seed processing activities including drying, cleaning, and conditioning. Assist with managing pests and diseases (scouting, pesticide application, other organic pest control methods) utilizing certified organic practices.
6. Assist with bulk and/or retail packet filling as needed.
7. Assemble orders and prepare for shipment. May also involve understanding of shipping software and operation of shipping computers/equipment.
8. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Ag/horticulture experience with proven leadership abilities required. Experience with organic vegetable crop seed production preferred. All applicants must possess a valid driver’s license.
Ability to communicate effectively with other staff
Ability to work well in a fast paced environment with changing day to day needs
Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Ability to operate small farm equipment including tractors, pickups, wagons
Ability to lift 30 lbs routinely, 50 lbs occasionally
Graphic Designer (Full-Time)
Promote and communicate the work of Seed Savers Exchange and its products through visual and graphic design. This role encompasses designing and creating print media, such as the seed catalog, brochures, seed packets, displays, and ads. The position works primarily within the organization’s marketing department, but fulfills graphic design needs across the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Create designs, concepts, and sample layouts based on knowledge of layout principles, design concepts and branding guidelines.
2. Determine size and arrangement of illustrative material and copy, and select style and size of type.
3. Liaison with outside printers and assemble final layouts to send for printer.
4. Review final layouts and suggest improvements as needed.
5. Work simultaneously on several projects.
6. Consult with staff to create cohesive designs that reflect the culture and goals of Seed Savers Exchange.
7. Collaborate with marketing manager and communications coordinator on projects.
8. Communicate graphic design needs for projects. This includes timelines, what specifications you, as the designer, need, etc.
9. Lead visual aspects of marketing materials.
10. Follow sign off processes for projects.
11. Fulfill graphic design needs of external departments that are run through the marketing department project process.
12. While this position primarily covers print and product design, the position could also encompass digital and web design duties, depending on a candidate’s qualifications and background.
13. Other duties as assigned.
Examples of Projects:
Catalog production (layout catalog and work with outside printer on details); Design seed packets and prepare materials for printer; Design ads for newspapers, magazines, trade shows, etc.; Create letters/envelopes for membership/fundraising direct mail campaigns; Design brochures; Create annual conference materials (signage, handouts, postcards, etc.); Create event print materials, such as posters, ads, signage, handouts; Cards (print in house); Create and print on-campus signage; Create materials for Visitors Center (signage, new product design, such as t-shirts, cards, towels, etc.); Design large-scale signage for the campus.
Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, Fine Art Design, Marketing or related discipline. (Relevant experience in lieu of a degree will be considered.)
3+ years experience in graphic design, marketing, or related field.
Proficiency in Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
Innovative and adaptive design eye and skill.
Excellent communication skills.
Ability to absorb and apply constructive criticism from peers.
Photography and digital design experience a plus.
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.