Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references as a single PDF to [email protected] – include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Peggy Miller | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.
Seed Packing Assistant Operator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Position Status: Regular, Full-time
Reports to: Seed Inventory Coordinator
Supervisory Role: No
This position will support Seed Savers Exchange with all aspects of seed packing and order fulfillment, with a focus on learning how to operate and assist with the seed packing machines. Must be flexible to change tasks as priorities change.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Seed Packing Machine Operator with filling seed packet builds of 500-3,000 packets per variety
- Assist with gathering raw materials for build
- Assist with setting up the packing machine for a build, which includes dialing in settings as needed for each variety for quantity, speed, and accuracy
- Assist with build switchovers to include cleaning of packing machine, putting away/pulling of raw materials from cooler/mezzanine
- Assist with documenting/tracking all information pertaining to each build
- Assist with clean-up of machine packing room at the end of each shift
- Work in conjunction with the Bulk Inventory Coordinator to pack bulk seed as required throughout the year, but especially in winter months when sales are high.
- Hand package seeds into appropriate packets using tools while following strict Organic Standards Practices with training and guidance from senior staff.
- Operate seed packet printers with training and guidance from senior staff.
- Prepare orders for shipment. This includes picking orders, validating items, and packing them into appropriate containers.
- Process shipments using integrated shipping software.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Business and Sales and/or Seed Inventory Coordinator.
- Mechanical and technical aptitude sufficient to operate, train, and troubleshoot seed packing and printing equipment.
- Competency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to navigate backend point of sales system, Netsuite experience preferred.
- Accurate record-keeping and attention to detail
- Able to work well as part of a team
- Ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds routinely, and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to work in cool (45˚F) for extended periods
- High School Diploma and/or equivalent experience
- Self-motivation, attention to detail, and ability to organize tasks.
- Efficient, self-motivated person
- Paid PTO & holidays
- Long Term Disability & Life Insurance (paid for by the company)
- Employee merchandise discounts
- Wellness program with an annual stipend and paid day off
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage available
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Seed Savers Exchange does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.